Sep 11, 2025

This week’s crisis…

So, it wasn’t enough I had to go and get a toe chopped off. You’d think that would be it but NO!

Monday I was prepping lunch and suddenly felt a sharp pain as I was slicing an onion on the mandolin.

What followed besides blood gushing everywhere looking like a scene out of Monty Python and the Holy Grail…

Anyway, a rubber band tied tightly around the finger and a band aid did the trick but there was a lot of cursing involved. An hour or two later I tried removing the band aid to look at the thing which only resulted in the blood gushing business again. So more rubber bands and band aids.

Later on in the early evening I figured I’d get up to urgent care before they closed, just to be safe. I had the little flap of finger but the guy said he wasn’t going to use it. I knew it couldn’t be stitched so what to do? 

The upshot was he put a pressure bandage on it and wrapped it and then told me to give it three days and then to soak it and take the band aid off and use some ointment on it and keep it dry.

This is what it looked like after being wrapped which considering I spend my day using the computer made typing a pain in the ass.




It really hurt that night and the next day. I mean I woke up in the middle of the night and it was throbbing but then today came and I thought to try and see if I could get the band aid off and look at the thing. That took an hour… PLUS. I mean the wrapping was easy enough but the compression bandage was more or less cemented by dried blood. I also realize I may have just grazed the next finger over too although I didn’t really go deep, just noting that the tip is sore,

After everything was said and done and I looked at it, it appears I took off part of the nail too!


I changed the color a little to tone it down but you get the idea. Now I have ointment on it with a band aid over it in a finger cot. So I get to live with this for a month or two but again, in the scheme of things I’ll take it just wish I hadn’t done it to myself!

No comments: